Did you know even if your weight is within a normal range, you can still have unhealthy or altered body composition?
What is unhealthy body composition?
It refers to carrying too much fat in comparison to lean tissue, such as muscle.
Unhealthy body composition often leads to signficant weight gain (obesity) which is associated with many critical health conditions, including
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Metabolic syndrome
- Type 2 diabetes
- Estrogen-related problems
- Certain forms of cancer
- Back pain
- Gallbladder disease and gallstones
- Kidney disorders
- Respiratory problems
- Sleep apnea
- Excess fatigue
- Urinary incontinence
There is no single cause of unhealthy body composition. The factors contributing include:
- A high-fat, high-sugar diet
- Lack of exercise
- Excess alcohol intake
- Hormonal disorders
- Certain medications, such as steroids, antidepressants, or anti-epilepsy drugs
- Other metabolic factors ( ex. Hypothyroidism)
There are so many benefits of healthy body composition!
By reducing body fat and increasing lean muscle, a healthy body composition may:
- Improve insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance
- Improve blood circulation in all parts of the body, thereby reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke
- Promote healthy blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Reduce respiratory infections and breathlessness, and improve lung function
- Improve quality of sleep
- Relieve some of the strain placed on your knees, hips, and lower back-which can reduce pain
- Increase energy and endurance
- Improve mood and self confidence!