Part 2: Seeding Phase
Supporting both Brain Health & Mental Health
Supporting Brain Health & Mental Health is something I am very passionate about. In this 4 part series, I will share with you how I guide my patients to improve their mental health and brain health using the Brio Living Philosophy. In today’s Masterclass you will learn:
- What is the Seeding Phase all about?
- Underlying Imbalances: Extinguishing Inflammation in the body to treat the brain.
- Underlying Imbalances: Enhancing Detoxification to support brain health.
RECAP from last time: Supporting both Mental Health & Immunity Simultaneously
What is the Brio Living Philosophy?
- This is the Brio’s Clinic Step by Step Roadmap in helping patients move from only focusing on symptoms, to transforming their health.
- There are 4 Distinct Phases: Weeding, Seeding, Feeding and Thriving
- Garden Analogy: (Animation Video on Website: https://yourbriohealth.ca/about/)
- Weeding Phase: Weeds represent Symptoms. Not only do we want to help get rid of them, we want to prevent future weeds. Weeds are a byproduct of poor quality soil.
- Seeding Phase: Tilling the Soil, Exploring Root Cause, Understand Systemic Imbalances. Establishing Healthy Habits
- Feeding Phase: Deeper Healing. Breaking through stuckness, limitations and fears. Integrating balance in all aspects of life. Wheel of Balance.
- Thriving Phase: Living your true authentic self, Outward blessing toward others, Balance of physical, mental, emotional, spiritual.
WHAT IS THE SEEDING PHASE ALL ABOUT?
Most people think that Just because they are NOT having any symptoms they are healthy. This is NOT true.
- This is a very dynamic phase for patients! We are TILLING the SOIL
- Figuring out What’s the Root Cause
- Uncovering underlying Patterns and Beliefs
- We are identifying which System in the body is NOT balanced
- Breaking old habits and establishing new habits
- REMEMBER: old symptoms may return if they were suppressed before in the past.
- Figuring out why some conditions keep recurring and become chronic
- Exploring the Root Cause.
- Detective Hat: SEARCH for the WHY?
- 2 patients with the exact same symptoms of Anxiety (Restless, Insomnia, Worry), but different approaches to treatment!
- Patient 1: Lots of Stress: Overwhelmed because too much work piling up.
- Patient 2: Lots of Stress. Lost her Job. Worried about future
- Personalized treatment plan for each individual.
- Identifying Which SYSTEM is out of balance & put together a unique strategy to heal and support each system.
- Digestive system
- Detoxification System
- Neurological System
- Hormonal System
- Inflammation system
- Immune System
Extinguishing Inflammation to Help with Brain Health/ Mental Health.
- What Causes Inflammation?
- How can Allergies affect your Neurological system?
- What I do to limit inflammation in my body
1) What Causes Inflammation?
- Inflammation is part of the Bodies Natural Defense system against Viruses, Bacteria, infections
- When body detects a foreign invader: White blood cells and Chemical (Cytokines) gets released to Alert and Alarm the body
- So this is a good thing!
- Everyone in Medicine agrees (Naturopathic or Conventional) that the ROOT CAUSE of all Diseases is INFLAMMATION.
- WE are ALL on FIRE: Autoimmune conditions, Asthma, Cancer, Diabetes are ALL inflammatory Diseases
- When inflammation Spreads to the Brain: We see DEPRESSION, DEMENTIA, AUTISM, ALZHEIMERS.
Science is now VERY clear in showing a few things are causing inflammation
- An inflammatory Diet (sugars, poor quality fats)
- Food Allergens – Gluten, Peanuts
- Imbalanced Digestive System – Immune/Gut System
- Toxic Load on the body: pollution, environmental toxins, cosmetics
- Low grade, hidden, chronic infections
- Stress – emotional and physical
- Nutritional deficiencies – vitamins and minerals
- Poor Sleep
What happens to the Brain with too much INFLAMMATION?
- Brain Chemistry is affected: Neurotransmitters can’t function properly
- Cellular communication in the body and brain fails: Cell membranes are not responding to stimulation
- Enzymes are not being produced properly
- Mental processing slows down
2) Food Sensitivities and Your Brain
- IgE vs IgG
- IgG: Delayed Allergic Response in the immune system. Can show up days later. Ie Bread that you eat on Sunday, can cause symptoms on Tuesday or Wednesday. Hard to trace it back to the bread.
- IgG Response leads to inflammation in the lining of our digestive tract! Thus causes Leaky Gut Syndrome.
- In my Naturopathic Practice, I have seen Gluten and Dairy cause inflammation leading to Brain symptoms. (Brain Fog, low energy, anxiety etc)
3) What are the Steps I am personally taking to reduce inflammation
- Avoid or remove the Triggers to inflammation:
- Food sensitivities
- Support my digestive system.
- Limiting as much toxic exposure in my environment
- Limiting stress
- Focus on adding Good Things to my Life
- Whole Foods Diet
- Lots of Colourful Vegetables
- I sleep early.
- Exercise regularly
- Wellness Essentials Brain Health Supplements
- I have a great supportive community
- Specific Anti Inflammatory Foods:
- Green Light:
Enhancing Detoxification to Support Brain Health
- What are the toxins we are exposed to?
- If we are all exposed to a tidal wave of toxins, why do some of us get sick and others don’t?
- What am I doing to up my Detox game?
1) What are the toxins we are exposed to?
Our bodies are equipped with an incredible self-cleaning process. We have organs that eliminate waste products and we have our immune system that hunts down dangerous foreign substances.
What are toxins?
- Exogenous (from the outside)
- Pesticides & Additives in produce,
- formaldehyde in carpets and cosmetics
- Phthalates from plastic containers
- Dioxins from bleached paper products
- Endogenous: (from within our body)
- Byproduct of Metabolism (ex. Lactic Acid builds up after a workout – causing sore muscles)
- Breathing (Co2)
- Exogenous (from the outside)
Link to 3 Phase Detox Poster: DETOXIFICATION
2) If we are all exposed to a tidal wave of toxins, why do some of us get sick and others don’t?
- Some people Simply are Exposed to way MORE Toxins compared to others due to jobs or hobbies.
- Genetic factor: Some people have a capacity to handle more toxic load, while others don’t
Our understanding of Epigenetics:
“Epigenetics is the study of changes in gene activity which are not caused by changes in the DNA sequence. It is the study of gene expression, the way genes bring about their phenotypic effects.” wikipedia
Combination of Inheritance and your Environment: You might Need more B vitamins than your neighbour. As long as you have enough B vitamins in your diet, then no problem. But when you lack the B vitamins, then your body can’t produce the correct amount of proteins to function properly or properly detoxify waste products.
Our modern day lifestyle has way too much sugar, not enough nutrients, stress, etc. It’s overwhelming for our system
GLUTATHIONE: IT’S THE MASTER DETOXIFIER IN OUR BODY
- In the body it acts like a BIO Magnet. Toxins stick to it.
- Toxins then get excrete through your urine and bowels.
Our body can make it naturally!
It’s becoming clear that many toxic people or people who are really sick don’t have enough glutathione in their body.
Body Makes Glutathione from Sulfur containing FOODS
3) What do I do to maintain My Detox Function?
- Foods: Cruciferous Vegetables: Cabbage, broccoli, collars, kale, Brussel Sprouts, Bok Choy, Mustard Greens): 2 Cooked Cups Daily
- Garlic/ Onions
- Green Tea.
- Increase my hydration levels.
- Glutathione: Supplements: IV therapy
- Vitamin C
- N- Acetyl – Cysteine (NAC) – precursor to glutathione
I hope this was helpful to support you on your journey to improving your overall brain health. Please stay tuned for more information on my upcoming Brain Health Course
Dr. Jeffrey Lee
Naturopathic Physician & Registered Acupuncturist
Check out my Stress Youtube Series here.