At Brio, we have always held the healing philosophy of treating the Cellular Terrain or the “Soil” of the garden as a primary focus of care. Meaning, when a patient presents with symptoms we take great care and detail to inquire about the patients health history. We are concerned about the symptom(s) but perhaps even MORE, we are concerned with why the body was able to host and foster these symptoms.
Finding out the why, looks at the cellular health of the individual. Cellular Terrain is treated and rebuilt with several modalities practiced within Brio: nutrition; Unda drainage remedies; Acupuncture; TCM Herbs; Bowen Therapy; Low Level Laser and Myofascial release, as there generally is some “soil cleanup” or detoxification required of the cellular terrain at the start of the treatment. Often the first course of action does not require a heavy dosing of vitamins and supplements.
However, more often than not, minerals are required to help support the body at the start of treatment, the middle and for maintenance thereafter. One vitally important mineral is magnesium. Magnesium is a mineral we all need. If one already has a high level of wellness, or one is just starting their healing journey, it is a must!
Magnesium is used in almost every biochemical reaction in our body. It is a cofactor used for: our DNA; neurotransmitters; used to build bones; heart health; brain health and it is in every cell of our body.
Benefits of Magnesium
Here are just a few of the effects of supplementing Magnesium:
- Calming effect: Some of the highest levels of magnesium are found in our Central Nervous system. Higher magnesium status is positively correlated with better mood and deeper sleep. A patient with chronic anxiety likely burns through a lot of magnesium and would benefit with extra magnesium as they are working to treat the deeper issues.
- Brain: a balanced brain requires adequate levels of magnesium. Magnesium is used for the synthesis of our Neurotransmitters and therefore, higher levels of Serotonin and Dopamine.
- Adrenals: Magnesium helps to normalize the release of Cortisol to keep it within normal ranges, vs. excess Cortisol output and a potential chronic fight or flight scenario.
- Hormones: Magnesium helps to balance hormones and excrete excess levels of estrogen as is most commonly the case for women experiencing symptoms related to hormone imbalance.
- Digestive Health: Magnesium helps to soften the stool and hydrate the colon, increasing bowel transit time and frequency of healthy bowel movements. It has been stated that up to 90% of chronic disease begins in the gut. Keeping the bowels healthy is of utmost importance. Magnesium is a must on this list to maintain digestive health.
Now as we know, supplements and health have fast become a billion dollar industry. There are many supplements on the market and trust me, the majority of the products are an inferior quality product. The products are so poor that it is literally like flushing money down the toilet.
Her are a few forms of Magnesium that are Brio approved:
- Magnesium glycinate – helps with muscle aches/cramping; inflammation and suited to help with sleep issues.
- Magnelevures – a powder to tonify the nervous system; helps with balanced muscle function; supportive of cardiovascular function; helps with the maintenance of bones and teeth; hormone balancing.
- Magnesium Citramate – Contains Citrate and Malate – very well absorbed; helps with Bowels/Digestion and muscle pains.
Of course absorption of minerals from our food is our primary source. Magnesium is found in a variety of nuts and seeds. However, knowing how important this Magnificent Mineral is, and how stressful our current lives are, the majority of us still require supplementation.