Veggie burrito bowls
Recipe from Easy Cheesy Vegetarian
These veggie burrito bowls are the perfect easy Tex-Mex dinner: especially when they’re piled up with your favourite toppings!
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
- 150 g (~ 3/4 cup) brown rice
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, diced (I used yellow)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ~ 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 400 g tin black beans, drained (240g, or ~ 1 1/4 cups, when drained)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- Black pepper
- 100 ml (~ 1/3 cup) vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp hot sauce (however hot you like it)
- Your choice of toppings
- Cook the brown rice according to the instructions on the packet – I boil mine in plenty of water until it’s just soft (around 20 minutes), then drain.
- Meanwhile, heat a dash of oil in a large, deep frying pan, and add the spring onions, diced pepper and garlic. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add the halved cherry tomatoes, black beans, paprika, and a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook for a few minutes more, until the tomatoes are just softened. You can squish them a little to release their juice if you like.
- When the rice is cooked, add it to the vegetables, along with a little vegetable stock and a dash of hot sauce. Mix well to combine. Check the seasoning (you might want a little more hot sauce!), and serve with your choice of toppings.
One-pan Spicy Mexican Rice Skillet
Recipe from The Girl Who Ate Everything
One-pan Spicy Mexican Rice Skillet – spicy rice with corn, black beans, tomatoes, and jalapeno. This easy dinner is full of flavor!
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and diced finely
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- kosher salt and pepper to taste (about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese or cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- (toppings) diced avocado and sour cream
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute jalapeno pepper and garlic for about 30 seconds.
- Add the rice and coat with the oil and cook for about a minute.
- Stir in the black beans, tomatoes, yellow corn, and chicken broth into skillet. Add the cumin, red pepper flakes, chili powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cover with a lid. Simmer on low for 15-20 minutes until rice is tender and liquid is gone.
- Stir in lime juice and sprinkle with cheese. Place lid on top melt cheese. Sprinkle with cilantro and top with avocado and sour cream.