Lentil & Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus Wrap
Recipe from Simple Veganista
Total Time: 15 mins
- lavash bread (whole grain pref.) or flour tortillas
- ½ cup cooked lentils, per wrap
- leafy greens (I used romaine)
- red pepper flakes
- mineral salt
Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus Ingredients
- 1 ½ cups fresh cooked garbanzo beans (chickpeas) or 1 can (15oz) garbanzo beans
- 2 – 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup tahini (or cut in half and use 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ teaspoon paprika (regular or smoked)
- ½ teaspoon mineral salt, or to taste
- juice of 1 lemon or 1 – 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ – ⅓ cup water, as needed
- If using packaged sun-dried tomatoes, soak your tomatoes in water for about 15 minutes to soften, reserve water. If they are super fresh, no need to soak, just chop and use. Use the remaining water as needed when adding it to the hummus. If using bottled in oil sun-dried tomatoes, use as is.
- Place all ingredients into food processor/blender, except for the water. Blend until creamy, about 3 minutes or so, adding water as needed to thin. I used about ⅓ cup water as I like my hummus on the moist, thin side.
- Makes about 1 ½ cups.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 – 6 days.
Assemble Your Wrap:
- Lay your lavash bread on a flat surface. Spread a nice layer of hummus over ¾, top with about ½ cup lentils over top, sprinkle with red pepper flakes and mineral salt, add leafy greens over top. Roll gently, but tightly as you can. Slice in half and enjoy!
Lentil Burgers with Lemon Basil Mayonnaise
Recipe from The Food Network
Total Time: 1 hr 5 mins
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 button mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Two 15-ounce cans of lentils
- 1/3 plus 1/2 cup of lentils
- 2 tablespoons egg-free mayonnaise (eg. Vegenaise)
- 1 tablespoon Mayonnaise
Lemon-Basil Mayonnaise Ingredients
- 1 cup egg-free mayonnaise (eg. Vegenaise)
- 1/2 chopped fresh basil
- Zest of large lemon
- Loaf of thick cut bread
- 1 avocado, deseeded
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1 head butter lettuce, separated.
- For the burgers: Heat 1/4 cup of the oil over medium-high heat in a 12-inch nonstick skillet. Add the shallots, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, garlic, thyme and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook until the mushrooms are soft, 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Blend the peas and 1 can lentils until smooth in a blender. Transfer the pureed peas and lentils to a medium bowl. Add the remaining 1 can lentils, 1/3 cup cornmeal, mayonnaise, lemon juice and the mushroom mixture. Form 1/3-cupfuls of the mixture into eleven 3/4-inch-thick slider patties.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup cornmeal on a baking sheet. Place the burgers on top of the cornmeal. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup cornmeal on top of the burgers. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the remaining 1/4 cup oil over medium heat in the skillet. Cook the burgers until golden brown, about 4 minutes on each side.
- For the mayonnaise: Mix the mayonnaise, basil and lemon zest until smooth in a small bowl.
- Working in batches, place the bread in the skillet and cook until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes on each side. The bread can also be grilled or toasted in an oven.
- Smear the mayonnaise on the bread and top with the lentil burgers. Serve with avocado if using, tomato, lettuce and top with the remaining the bread slices.
Quinoa Burger with Feta and Black Olives
Recipe from The Food Network
Total Time: 36 mins
- ¾ cup (180 mL) uncooked quinoa
- 100 g (3 oz) oyster mushrooms, torn
- ½ cup (125 mL) carrot, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup (60 mL) red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, quartered
- 2 tsp chili oil
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ¾ cup (180 mL) feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) rice flour
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 6 burger buns
- ½ cup (125 mL) black olives, pitted and chopped
- Rinse quinoa then add to a pot with 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain if needed then transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- Combine mushrooms with carrots, onion and garlic in a food processor or mini chop. Pulse until finely chopped.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high. Add chili oil, then vegetable mixture. Cook for 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir into quinoa with ½ cup feta, egg, rice flour and salt. Season with pepper.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until chilled though.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add vegetable oil. Working in batches, spoon ½ cup portions of quinoa mixture into pan and shape into a patty. Cook for 3 minutes per side, or until golden and heated though. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Place burgers on toasted buns. Top with remaining feta and black olives.